|Answers to last week's quiz (#250)|
|Gaurav Sri Krishna / New Delhi Apr 30, 2012, 00:58 IST|
- Which product is adorned with a diamond studded clip that resembles the knife from Alfred Hitchcock’s classic ‘Psycho’?A limited edition Montblanc pen, which pays tribute Alfred Hitchcock and costs Rs 1.1 million
- The payment industry is witnessing a new revolution where mobile readers that plug into a cell phone’s head set jack are replacing traditional Electronic Data Capture (EDC) machines and the manual card imprinters. What is the industry nick name for manual card imprinters and EDCs?Knuckle Busters
- Who was responsible for the first noodles to be consumed in outer space and when did it happen?The inventor of instant noodles, Momofuku Ando developed Space Ram, the first instant noodles that were consumed aboard Space shuttle Discovery in 2005. It was made in such a manner so that the noodles and the soup could escape zero gravity and stay together.
- What is common to the brands Lonesome Pine, Laughing Gravy and Another Fine Mess?They are all beer brands celebrating Stan Laurel’s (Laurel & Hardy) connection to the town of Ulverston in UK, where they are made. Lonesome pine is a song from the film Way out West.
- This company has a lot of firsts associated with it. It is known for its excellent engineering and began to invest more in innovation by setting up a unit called Magic labs. Its founder called himself the Chief Innovation wizard. For this company Brilliance is the key word. Name it.The Taiwan based company HTC
- During the 1830s this person made a leap in lateral thinking by devising a machine that could stitch cloth with two threads from two separate sources. Being an altruistic Quaker he never pursued his invention because his daughter thought it would put seamstresses out of work. Needing to settle a debt with a friend, he conjured up another invention in three hours from bits of wire. Name him and the invention.Walter Hunt, Inventor of the safety pin
- This company was originally a small dental supply company purchased by its current CEO. Its product range has names like — “I am not really a waitress" and “You don't know Jacques.” Name the company and the business it is in?OPI, a professional nail care company established in 1981 now bought over by Coty. It has fanciful names for its nail polish shades.
- The founder of this company started his career in the late 1800s by adopting the open road and the life of a traveling salesman, peddling pianos, organs, and sewing machines off the back of a wagon. Later he sold stock in the Northern New York State Building and Loan Association. Name him.Thomas J Watson (Sr) founder of IBM
- This TV show is one of the firsts in the business and was launched in August, 1948. Although the show looked unscripted, it relied on writers including a young Woody Allen. Name the show and state how it was a path breaker.The “Candid Camera” show launched by CBS on August 10, 1948 is considered the industry's first reality TV Show
- Identify the brand and explain the significance of the logo.
Toblerone. It was created by Theodor Tobler (1876-1941) and Emil Baumann in Bern, Switzerland in 1908. The image of a bear is hidden in the Matterhorn mountain symbolising the town of its origin (Bern).
There were 36 all-correct entries for The Strategist quiz #250. Dr Yogesh Gavali, Mumbai; Kamlesh Banger, New Delhi; Zaid Ahmad, Bangalore; Dibyendu Sarkar, Kolkata; Mohammad Ahmad, Tanda; Suman Sarangi, Noida; Chandan Nagar, Hooghly; D Surendranath, Hyderabad; K Subrahmanyam, Bangalore; Ramarao, Visakhapatnam
Dr Yogesh Gavali also wins Rs 2,000